Call for Programs for 2011 USPAA Conference
June 1-3, East Tennessee State University
The USPAA 2011 Conference Planning Committee invites program proposals for the June 1-3 conference, hosted at East Tennessee State University.
PROPOSAL DEADLINE: Monday, March 21, 2011. Proposals should be submitted via email as Word documents to Karen Deardorff, Associate Director of the Cutler Scholars Program at Ohio University. Download the program proposal form here.
We are looking for sessions that reflect best practices and discussions related to all aspects of scholars program work: marketing, recruiting, selection, advising, and developing programs that support student success. You may also submit a proposal for a paneled roundtable of colleagues from multiple programs. The following topics were suggested at the conclusion of the 2010 conference:
- Mentors: i.e. use of mentors, developing a mentor program, garnering support from the faculty to serve as mentors
- Collaboration between scholars across the campus and beyond to other university campuses (networking support, systems)
- Best practices (contracts, policies, liabilities, etc.)
- The first “scary” semester: so they enrolled as scholars and now how do we make sure we “find” them all? Communication systems that work from the start
- Assessment of students’ potential before they arrive
- Developing and nurturing the alumni network
- The mental health of high achievers
- Entitlement and appreciation
- The scholarship renewal process
- The digital age: Facebook, other social networking
- The financial aid process
- Alcohol education; other touchy subjects?
- Publications: view book, newsletters, digital news, website information
- FERPA, privacy, role of parents